Friday, September 17, 2010

If you love something, let it go....

I think that life and love and my experiences with both have taught me something very important.  The act of putting someone else's needs above my own.  See, I've come to find, that if you truly love someone, then why would you fight with them against what they want, just because it doesn't extend to accommodate what you want as well?


Sometimes in life, we don't win.  When we were young, we learned this through sports.  The coach would tell us good game and tell us to congratulate the other team.  Then we'd indulge on orange slices and juice boxes after a hard played game.  Well, love, like sports and the rest of life, has its ups and downs.  A comforting movie would be the orange slice, and wishing the person you couldn't make it work with well in their future endeavors with love and relationships and the likes would be the coach's voice yelling at us to be good sports.


The truth is, in my heart of course I want things to go my way, and of course I go to bed dreaming of the day I get called in the middle of the night, because the object of my affection has just had the greatest epiphany about how I’m the one.  But, I don't focus on this.  I don't allow these thoughts to plague my mind and consume me.  Because in the end, even if he doesn’t choose to be with me, I only wish him happiness, as he is my very best friend.


I’ve come to realize, there are things beyond the horizon of what I want, and maybe I’ve done a little growing up in that regard, but to me it seems that to only focus on what I want, and not someone else’s needs as well is juvenile.  And come to think of it, at the end of the day, if I successfully ended up getting someone to take me back because I cried and asked them not to go, I’d end up always wondering if they would’ve chosen me because they wanted to, or because they couldn’t bear to see me cry.


As the saying goes, if you love something let it go, if it comes back it’s yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment